Nelson school follows the guidelines of London Borough of Richmond upon Thames on all admissions procedures. Our current admission level is 30 pupils per class from Reception to Year 6.
- Visit Richmond Schools Admissions to view current admissions information
- Visit Richmond Schools Appeals to access information about school appeals and the timetable for this.
Starting school, Reception class places
Children generally start school in Reception during the school year in which they become 5 years old, typically known as ‘rising 5s’. School begins for most of these children in September, at the start of the school year.
Nelson admits 90 children into Reception, organised into 3 classes. Transfer from Nelson Nursery to Reception is not automatic. We also welcome children from a range of nursery schools, other settings or from home.
Starting school in 2017?
For children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014, application details become available from 1st September.
Nearer to the Autumn Term we will be releasing information and dates regarding our open days/tours. Please visit again regularly to find out more information.
in the meantime if you would like a visit sooner than the Autumn Term, please contact our school office to book an appointment to see see us and our fantastic children learning through play. We will be happy to advise you about choosing Nelson as your first school;
Richmond Council co-ordinate all admissions to reception classes at Nelson. For further details about the admissions process, please visit Richmond School Admissions;
Joining Nelson from another school or moving to the area
Some children join Nelson from other local schools, from schools elsewhere in the UK or from overseas during the school year, all known as ‘in-year’ admissions.
If a vacancy exists in any age group, then an offer can be made because oversubscription criteria such as siblings already in school or distance from the school do not apply.
In-year admissions to Nelson Primary School are managed centrally by Richmond Upon Thames Council and are based on the current admissions criteria. Steps to joining Nelson:
1. Contact the school admission team at Richmond Council, Richmond School Admissions
2. Once you have been notified by Richmond Admissions of a place at Nelson for your child(ren), make arrangements to visit us. Contact School Admissions at Nelson by telephone
3. A member of the leadership team, will meet you and your child(ren) to tour the school and answer any questions that you may have.
4. When a child is transferring from another Richmond School, the Head Teacher will also meet you and your child(ren)
Admissions for September 2017
Our brand new Nelson Nursery opened in September 2016 and children born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014 are eligible to apply to start at the nursery in September 2017. Please contact us for more information.